Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Alimentation

I have been handed a loaf of bread and French fries with a serious face for breakfast more than once.  I have also eaten rice and potatoes more times than I can count.  To Mozambique, these things are balanced meals.

This is where the Peace Corps helps – they tell our host families that we have to eat vegetables sometimes.  Consequently, I am handed a cucumber, a tomato, and an onion to make a salad with vegetable oil dressing.

I will miss my host family when I move out into the wider world of Mozambique, but I am so excited to control my food again.  My first meal will be: Macaroni and cheese (cheese is another thing Mozambique knows not of), a HUGE salad with many different and wonderful things in it (properly cleaned using the recipe of the intrepid Elena Kyle), and maybe a glass of milk. and then chocolate. 

*This post is a gross generalization of Mozambique.  There are definitely Mozambicans who eat what we would consider a balanced meal, but they reside more in the cities and upper socioeconomic classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment